South Centennial Manor - Leaves of Absence
Long Term Care Residents are allowed various leaves of absence from the unit. Each of these types of leave must be authorized by the physician.
Casual Leave of Absence
- Not to exceed 48 hours.
- Care to be given during the leave of absence will be specified by the physician.
- Responsible person (over 19) must indicate in writing that they agree to assume full responsibility for care, safety and well-being of the Resident during the leave of absence.
- Release of responsibility must be signed by the Resident or responsible person.
Vacation Leave of Absence
- Resident is entitled to 21 days vacation leave each calendar year.
- Under special circumstance this may be extended.
- Requests for such an extension must be made in writing and will be considered on an individual basis.
- All other requirements as stated above will apply.
Medical Leave of Absence and Psychiatric Leave
- 3 days to 21 days for medical leave and 45 days for psychiatric leave.
- Authorized by the physician.
- Next-of-kin are authorized 24 hours in advance if possible or as soon as possible.
- Bed is held until the Resident's return.
- If the leave is longer than 21 days and the Resident will be returning to the unit, the physician must notify the administrator and if the Resident agrees in writing to continue the usual monthly payment, the bed will be held.
- Bed may be held for up to 30 days in addition to the available medical/ psychiatric leave.
- If payment is not continued, the Resident will be discharged.
- Where the physician notified the administrator that the Resident will not be returning to the unit, he/ she will be discharged.